About Pilates Benefits & Results
A dedicated Pilates practice provides an array of amazing benefits for your health, fitness and overall wellness. It is one of the few training systems that focuses on the body as a whole, and as a result, does not overdevelop some muscle groups while neglecting others. Since Pilates emphasizes the development of core strength, the exercises train the body as an integrated whole.
When practiced regularly and correctly, the myriad benefits of Pilates extend into every aspect of movement, from sports and other workouts to everyday activities. It’s an ideal foundation for every type of physical activity, and yields significant rehabilitative benefits for those suffering from injuries and chronic illnesses.
Here are a few of the Pilates benefits that make this movement form is so popular:
• Improved strength, coordination and flexibility. Pilates develops killer core strength while enhancing coordination and flexibility, which helps reduce the chance of injury.
• Better posture. Pilates helps you develop balance within your musculature so that your body evenly distributes the stresses of standing, sitting and other movements—therefore, the muscles around your spine don’t need to overcompensate and risk strain.
• Better breathing. The healthy, effective breathing used in Pilates increases lung capacity and circulation.
• Improved bone density and joint health.
• Boosted athletic performance. All forms of athletic performance are enhanced with Pilates classes, from football, hockey and tennis to swimming, dance and gymnastics.
• Body image. A regular practice promotes weight loss and results in more toned muscles and a leaner look.
• Increased body awareness. Many experience positive body awareness for the first time when they take Pilates classes—and it continues to improve over time.
• Stress reduction. All physical activity helps reduce stress, but the centering aspects of Pilates give it an even greater calming effect.
“Physical Fitness can neither be obtained by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.”
-J. H. Pilates
When Pilates is practiced faithfully, “In ten sessions, you will feel the difference, in twenty you will see the difference, and in thirty you’ll have a whole new body.” –J. H. Pilates