Myofascial Release and Tone (MFRT) classes follow a body rolling methodolgy(1) that is designed to release muscle tightness (from bone origin to muscle insertion), apply traction to lengthen muscle tone muscle create space in joints and restore function, stimulate circulation which reduces pain and enhances healing, re-pattern postural misalignments and compensations, build your body awareness and develop self-healing practices. All classes will be led by your Teacher using your Yamuna body ball and the Anatomy U Video app for a visual aide of the internal anatomy.
Who can benefit from MFRT? Anyone who…..
- wants to experience the sensation of a self-massage
- who wants to increase body awareness for self-healing
- who is experiencing discomfort or pain due to sprains, muscle spasm, nerve impingement, limited range of motion, restriction, compression, tightness, inflammation, atrophy or nerve pain.
Participants must have the ability to sit and lye down on the floor or on a table.
This class can paid for by any of CoeDynamics class memberships packages, a package of 6 “mat classes” or a single class can be purchased for $20. All classes can be signed up through this class link. For questions please contact the studio at email@example.com or 310.798.7600.
Important Note prior to sign-up: to participate in this class, participants must make a one time online self purchase ($20 – $25) of either the Gold Yamuna ball (for height > 5 foot) or the Pearl Yamuna ball (for height < 5 foot)). The ball is yours to keep and provide continued self therapy in the comfort of your home or bring with you on travel. It could take up to a week to receive your ball so please purchase/plan accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to purchase a Yamuna ball? Yes, Yamuna balls are specially and safely designed with a quality density, resistance, and durability of weight bearing capacity and stimulating the muscle while working on the bone connection.
Is this class safe if I lack flexibility, have frail bones, have fibromyalgia, am not physically active, overweight, or am pregnant? YES, but it is important to notify your teacher in advance of any health concerns to best direct you in your healing process. It’s best to begin with a private first.
Why is CoeDynamics offering Myofascial Release classes? We are becoming an anxious hyperactive “fitness” related society (sadly, even in some of our Pilates practices) and moving very far away from “health” fitness. We push and pump our way through motions continuously using improper movement alignment and breathing patterns over and over again and tightening and shortening muscles and compressing joints that are already screaming at us! Then we run off for someone to “fix us;” surgery, PT, Chiropractic, pain meds, acupuncture, herbs etc… but we never take time to out-learn our old habits. Therefore, we end up going back to the same person (or a new one) who “fixed us” for the same or additional issue.
Don’t get me wrong there are many benefits from traditional treatments and I LOVE a great work-out but I’m also aiming to be able to get a great work-out in for many years to come while preventing self-induced injury. By balancing the use and release of your muscles you will not only elongate the activities that you love but you will continue to FEEL great doing them as well.
Our bodies are a wonderfully designed gift from our Creator. It has an internal intelligence to want to heal/balance itself. When given the time to listen to it and communicate with it via breathe, rest, circulation, neurological stimulation, hydration, proper nutrition and providing these tools in stress releasing forms our body uses this information for innate healing patterns.
What is Myofascial release (MFR)? It’s considered an alternative therapy that is used to treat skeletal muscle immobility and pain by relaxing contracted muscles, improving blood and lymphatic circulation, and stimulating the stretch reflex in muscles. (2) Fascia is a thin, tough, elastic type of connective tissue that wraps most structures within the human body, including muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, bones, soft tissue. Fascia supports and protects these structures.
How are muscles toned through MFRT? Pathologically, a loss of tone (flaccidity) can be caused by peripheral nerve damage and exaggerated tone (spasticity) by overstimulation(3) . MFRT classes uses breathe traction and movement across the length of the muscle that will reduce excessive stimulation create space to reduce nerve impingement and increase circulation to bring life back to the muscle.
In more detail, what to expect from CoeDynamics MFRT classes
- The class will run for 45 minutes where you will use your Yamuna ball and your teacher will lead in ball placement, body movement, breathing patterns, and the sensation of release. You will also be shown an internal anatomical visual of the areas you are working on with the Anatomy U video.
- Time and breathing will be vital tools to be able to develop a mind/body awareness of sensation of how parts of your body connect and effect the whole
- Reveal and consciously find your internal self healing processes to relieving holding patterns, stress, anxiousness, knee pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, foot pain, hip pain, lower/upper back pain, free limited ranges of motion, correct joint misalignments, stimulate blood supply for healing microfiber tears and tendonitis
- Restoring function and mobility following the neuromuscular system, breathing patterns, use of a body rolling methodology(1) your own body weight into a Yamuna ball which will create space in the body and enable muscles to elongate to their maximum possible resting length
- This process also stimulates circulation to the that can reduce inflammation, impingement, compression, nerve pain, speed healing of sprains and strains, and stimulate atrophied muscles
- Most importantly you will discover the internal healing power your body/mind is capable of without having to run to someone else to “fix you” but be able to practice in the comfort of your own home
1) based off the tools of Yamuna Zake Body Rolling