Boost Your Foods Nutrition (part IV)
This series of CoeDynamcis Wellness Blogs is indentifying ways you can increase the nutritional value of the food you eat along with delicious recipes.
- Part I discusses how soil plays a critical role to food nutrition.
- Part II discusses animal farming techniques that can either be healthy or toxic.
- Part III is about eating whole seasonal and chemical free.
Today is an off-shoot of part III, Genetic Engineered (GE) and Genetic Modified (GMO) Foods. What are they? Should I be eating them and feeding to my kids? Concluding today’s blog is your promised Non-GMO delicious and nutritious recipe.
Lets briefly get the technical out of the way
What are Genes? Genes are the inherited blueprints for thousands of proteins that form the building blocks of all of life.
Scientific Facts about Genes
- It is impossible to guide the exact insertion of a gene, which leads to unpredictable results
- Genes dont work in isolation but in highly complex relationships which are not fully understood
- Any change to the DNA at any point will affect it throughout its length in ways scientists can not predict
Genetic Engineering (GE)/Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
GE and GMO are relating to the same so “GMO” will be used throughout this blog.
- GMO are plants or animals created through gene splicing techniques of biotechnology. This experimental technology merges DNA from different species, creating unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial, and viral genes. An example of this, is taking genes from arctic flounder which has anti-freeze properties, spliced into a tomato to prevent frost damage. (Personally this shoulds liike frankenstein stuff, unfortunately its no longer just in the movies)
- GMO foods and animal drugs were placed onto the market in 1994 by Monsanto and the FDA. This was done without either pre-market safety testing or labels required,
- Virtually all commercial GMOs are engineered to withstand higher levels of direct application of toxic herbicide and/or to produce an insecticide to kill off bugs without killing the plant itself**
- This new science experimentation is not a natural or traditional crossbreeding occurrence
- Major chemical companies involved with this technology include Monsanto, Dow, Syngenta, Dupont, BASF, and Bayer
- None of the biotech industry promises that were used to get GMO foods on the market, have been met such as: “increased yield, drought tolerance, enhanced nutrition.” In fact it has been exact opposite.
**A bugs job! In the very first blog of this series it was illustrated, that when plant food has less then its ideal level of nutrients, it naturally releases methane and ammonia. This natural release of chemicals is natures’ sign that the plant is not healthy (aka sick) and it signals for insects, bugs, fungi to do their job of devouring the dying food. Directly put: the purpose of bugs/insects, is to eat plants that are sick lack nutrition and are dying!
Are GMO(s) safe?
Most studies used to determine whether GMOs (along with its toxic chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers that accompany their use) are “safe” for human health, animals, the environment, and the climate, rely on industry’s internal scientists (rather then independent studies). In contradiction to industry studies, evidence from independent sources is continuously mounting, demonstrating that GMO foods are connected to health problems of humans, animals, have a toxic effect to our environment, and violates farmers’ consumers’ rights.
- Roundup (herbicide) used in increasing amounts of all GM crops, has been found to be….lethal to frogs, GM peas caused lung damage in mice, GM potatoes caused cancer in rats, GM Foods lead to significant organ disruptions in rats and mice specifically kidneys and liver, GM corn caused a variety of immune responses in mice including arthritis, Lou Gehrig’s osteoporosis, inflammatory bowel disease.
- Two dozen U.S. farmers stated that thousands of their pigs became sterile after consuming certain GM corn varieties – some had false pregnancies and gave birth to bags of water.
- In a small study, an entire herd of sheep died within a month of consuming GM – Bt plants while those in the same area that ate natural plants remained healthy.
- Roundup herbicide, used more than 80% of all GM crops worldwide, has been found to be lethal to frogs, toxic to human placental and embryonic cells
- Toxic herbicides and insecticides sprayed on plants or laced into their cells—severely damage or kill birds, bees, butterflies, lab rats, farm animals, and humans.
- According to Dr. Huber, (an award-winning, internationally recognized scientist, and professor of plant pathology at Purdue University for the past 35 years). Has given current 3 most important facts about GMOs:
- Despite what “experts” proclaim, there are NO peer-reviewed scientific papers establishing the safety of GMO crops. However, there are clinical and peer-reviewed scientific papers showing the hazards of GMO crops.
- Epidemiological patterns show an identical rise in over 30 human diseases correlated with humans increased consumption of glyphosate (an herbicide and mineral chelator) and the increase of GE proteins in our food.
- GMO foods and conventional crops heavily sprayed with glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup), has lower nutrient density than organic foods.
Environmental Impact of GMO
Over 80% of all GMOs grown worldwide are engineered for herbicide tolerance, this has resulted in a 15 times increased use of toxic herbicides (such as Roundup), since GMO’s were introduced. This has already negatively impacted our environment in the following ways:
more toxins in the soil leading to the creation of mutated soil bacteria
emergence of “super weeds” and “super bugs” which are resistant to herbicides, and can only be killed with ever more toxic poisons like 2,4-D (a major ingredient in Agent Orange)
cross-pollination between GM and non-GM crops intrudes and destroys organic crops and animals
water testing has shown run-off contamination from GMO crops of Cry1Ab, a specific type of Bt Toxin (A widely used pesticide that kills bugs by causing their stomach to burst. Research has shown that Bt toxin persists in the gastrointestinal tract of human-flora-associated rats weeks after exposure amongst a toxic effect to lungs, eyes, and other organs).
Since GMOs have not had long term studies prior to its use, their long-term impacts are unknown and once released into the environment these organisms can not be recalled.
Farmers and Consumer Rights are violated
Government is not requiring labeling of GMOs’ (in most states, including CA)
Biotech companies have patented GMO seeds which restricts their use and ensures continuous payment to them for new seeds.
- When farmers purchase the patented seeds, the agreement is they will not save and replant seeds produced from the original seed they buy. This then requires farmers to continuously buy new seeds, instead of following the ancient practice of saving seeds from one season for replanting in the next.
- Seeds by natural means (wind, insect, etc) are carried to other fields (cross-pollination) that many times enter into non-GMO fields. This has a not only contaminated non-GMO fields, but has also made non-GMO farmers vulnerable to patent infringement lawsuits.
- (According to a report by the Center for Food Safety (CFS), as of December 2012, Monsanto has filed 142 patent infringement lawsuits against 410 farmers and 56 small businesses in more than 27 states. Monsanto has been awarded a staggering $23 million and have put many hardworking farmers out of business.
Where does government stand on GMO?
Mounting scientific evidence against human health and environmental toxicity associated with GMO foods has opened the eyes of many governments around the world.
64 nations now require mandatory labeling of GMOs
- In European Union, where mandatory labeling laws are in effect, little or no GMO crops or food are on the market except for imported GMO animal feed
- Numerous states and regions and nations, including Switzerland, Australia, Austria, China, India, France, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg, Greece, Bulgaria, Poland, Italy, and Russia, have banned GMO crops altogether.
- Beyond GMO banding countries, including El Salvador and Sri Lanka, have banned the use of Monsanto’s Roundup
What about the U.S. government?
The U.S., governments FDA has approved use and sale of GMOs based on studies conducted by the same corporations that created and sell them. Even more so, ignored and silenced scientists and FDA officers who recognized “the processes of genetic engineering and traditional breeding are different, and according to the technical experts in the agency they lead to different risks” (made known to the public by lawsuit)
Unfortunately, in most states the U.S. government is not enforcing GMO labeling (out of suit of many other nations worldwide) denying consumers their right to make an informed decision of what kinds foods they’d like to feed to their family and spend their money on.
Currently there are 3 states that citizens voted in mandatory labeling on some GMO foods (ME, VT, CT).
Citizens of the following states have current labeling bills/campaigns in effect (AK, AZ, FL, HI, IA, IL, IN, MA, MN, MO, MT, NJ, NY, OK, RI, TN, TX).
Do You Know How Much GMO Food You’re Eating?
- Did you know, 90-95 percent of the major US-grown non-organic crops used for human and animal food production are now GMO and are without safety testing?
- Primary GMO crops include: CORN CANOLA SOY COTTONSEED ALFALFA SUGAR (derived from sugar beets)
- These foods are many times hidden in various forms food ingredients as well as animal feed such as (but are not limited to): Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Ethanol Flavorings (“natural” and “articial”), High-Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins,Yeast Products.
- Food animal derivatives from non-grass fed/organic animals are also considered high-risk because of potential GMO contamination in feed and other inputs:
- MILK MEAT EGGS HONEY (and other bee products)
- Other common and being considered GM crops: zucchini, crookneck squash, Hawaiian papaya, flax, rice, wheat, tomato, potato
- Sometimes GM is used as a drying agent and has the potential to blow over to of other non-GMO crops including wheat, rice, beans, potatoes, barley, oats, flax, peas, lentils, and sugar cane
The above being said…..
If you are eating whole, processed foods, and/or animal products that are not labeled (non-GMO, organic, 100% pasture raised/grass fed) then DAILY (possibly every meal) you are eating an abundance of toxins and mutated foods that could lead to a host of health concerns.
How to avoid GMO
- Grow your own produce
- Shop at local famers markets and get to know how your farmers grow their food (they might not be labeled “organic” due to high costs to farmers to receive this label) but that doesn’t mean their produce, animal derived foods and meats are not organically grown/raised (talk with them better yet visit their farm)!
- Receive foods through a local co-op or CSA program and get to know their policies for allowed foods. To find a local farmer, market, csa, and even restaurant that serves local produced food check out http://www.localharvest.org
- Choose food and products that are Non-GMO Project Verified! Click here to see a complete list
In the US the standard for the agriculture industry isantibiotics, pesticides, genetically engineered ingredients, hormones and countless other drugs are fair game in your food. Become educated about the foods you are buying and eating. Learn how to keep your freedom of choice to be able to make an educated decision of how you want to spend your $$ on the foods you eat, visit http://www.nongmoproject.org/.
As a QRA & Wellness Practitioner, a primary focus with clients is providing a step by step process in building a nutrient dense daily diet along with supplying recipes and teaching how to be in the kitchen efficiently and effectively. If you are seeking additional assistance to renew your diet and/or your family’s for health, weight loss, and/or body type, to inquire about an appointment please click here or call 310.798.7600.
To Great Health & Wellness
Tracy PMA-CPT, certified QRA & Wellness Practitioner
PS We love to hear from you, questions, recipe sharing, recipe feedback simply email us at email@example.com
- James Braly MD, “Dangerous Grains”
- Seeds Of Deception and Genetic Roulette by Jeffrey Smith
- Persistence of Bacillus thuringiensis bioinsecticides in the gut of human-flora-associated rats http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/A.Pusztai/memo.txt
- http://healthline.cc/ and http://www.prlabs.com/
Disclaimer: Messages from CoeDynamics are not regulated by FDAA and are not intended to diagnose or treat any disease or health condition. It is solely informational in nature. Please consult your health care practitioner before engaging in any treatments or nutritional product mentioned or suggested in these messages.